Next Generation CAPE Protection Software
CAPE software supports the system protection function within electric power utilities. CAPE is used by major utilities in more than 50 countries on 6 continents worldwide because of its serious tools for detailed modeling that help engineers manage voluminous and complex network data, uncover potential problems, and examine alternative solutions. CAPE 14 is the next generation version in Electrocon’s CAPE family of computer-aided protection software.
New Features and Enhancements
CAPE 14 includes a number of new features designed to enhance usability and improve engineer productivity including:
- Automated time-distance diagrams with option to store in the database.
- Edit forms for adjusting existing double/triple/quadruple, ring, and breaker-and-a-half detailed bus structures.
- Point-to-point line structure for graphical connections involving transmission lines and connections of point buses, bus ties, transformers, and shunts.
- On-line documentation with fast, simultaneous keyword-searching across all help.
- Support for NERC standards PRC-019-1 (Coordination of Generator Voltage Regulator Controls with Unit Capabilities and Protection), PRC-023-2 (Transmission Relay Loadability), PRC-025-1 (Generator Relay Loadability), PRC-026-1 (Stable Power Swing Relay Loadability), and PRC-027-1 (Protection System Coordination for Performance during Faults).
- CAPE-TS Link™ option to integrate the detailed protection system model of CAPE with the time-domain model of the Siemens PTI PSS®E transient stability simulation.
- IPS-CAPE Bridge™ option to provide two-way data exchange between the IPS-RELEX™ protection system data management software and the CAPE protection system simulation environment.
- Special support for generator protection coordination tasks; display of generator capability curves; loss-of-field protection.
- Frequency relay models.
- Volts-per-Hertz relay models.
- 100+ new detailed relay models developed since CAPE 2010 bringing the total relays to more than 6000 detailed relay styles, reclosers and fuses.
- Modeling of generator and induction motor fault decay in Short Circuit, System Simulator, and Relay Checking.
- Support for modeling unbalanced three-phase transformers.
- Enhanced Shunt Capacitor Bank Performance macro.
- Quickscan fault studies.
- Quick protection system simulations in Short Circuit.
- CT saturation simulation in differential relays.
- Protection simulation speed enhancements.
- Sliding fault impedance feature.
- Many new hot key combination.
CAPE Third-Party Interface Modules
CAPE offers optional connectivity with third-party software applications commonly used for planning and data asset management. Two such modules include CAPE-TS Link and IPS-CAPE Bridge. In addition, the CAPE Neutral Interface (NI) allows CAPE to share data with other asset management software.
Bridging the Gap between Planning and Protection
A new optional module to CAPE 14 is the CAPE-TS Link™ module which integrates the detailed protection system model of CAPE with the time-domain model of the Siemens PTI PSS®E transient stability simulation. This unique simulation tool combines Electrocon’s premier stepped-event protection system simulation with time-domain transient stability programs. It enables for the first time a reliable simulation of the bulk electric power system in a way that models the effect of protective relay operations on the dynamic behavior of the system. The ability of the installed or planned protective devices to meet critical clearing time criteria can now be demonstrated. CAPE’s library of detailed distance, overcurrent, voltage, and differential protective devices has been augmented with frequency, V/Hertz, and out-of-step relays to support unexcelled realism.
A survey of selected U.S. electric utilities and industry professionals and a technical white paper published by the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) indicate that this kind of analysis and simulation capability can be of great value to the industry in evaluating and improving the reliability of the electric grid.
Protection System Data Management Connectivity
The IPS-CAPE Bridge provides two-way data exchange between the IPS-RELEX protection system data management software and the CAPE protection system simulation environment. The Bridge manages the mapping of data common to both products in a way that preserves data integrity. Depending on the transfer the user requests, it can create new substations, LZOPs, relays, and relay settings in the destination database or simply update them if they already exist.
CAPE In Action
CAPE (Computer-Aided Protection Engineering) software is built for engineers responsible for protection of high voltage transmission systems and distribution systems within electric power utilities.
- Detailed modeling capabilities based on a single open source database.
- Support for analysis and simulation to solve data management issues, uncover potential network and protective device problems, and evaluate alternatives.
- Support for networks of any size.
- Support for setting complex modern digital relays.
- Support for relay coordination functions and wide-area studies.
- Ability to integrate with conventional transient stability programs to allow the kind of evaluation of wide-area control needed to avoid cascading outages and blackouts.